Thursday, October 22, 2015

ARC Review: Twisted Dreams by Marissa Farrar

Title: Twisted Dreams
Author: Marissa Farrar
Series: The Dhampyre Chronicles #1
Genres: NA, Paranormal, Romance
Publication: September 21st 2014 by Warwick House Press
Summary (Goodreads):
Born of a vampire father to a human mother, Elizabeth Bandores’ life was never going to be normal, so she can’t image why she thinks starting college will be any different.

Having grown up in the affluent Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles and desperate to escape, she decides on the small college town of Sage Springs. With dreams of being a writer, she joins the college newspaper and is introduced to blond, confident Flynn Matthews, Sage Springs’ rising swim star.

But a carnival has set up in the small town, and the boy running the Waltzer catches her eye. Dark-haired, leather-jacketed Riley is rude, with an air of danger. Elizabeth can’t help but notice him. And when an accident thrusts them together, she discovers he’s noticed her, too.

Sage Springs isn’t the quiet little town Elizabeth had hoped for. The forests bordering the town harbour a dark secret—one some of the residents have been trying to protect, and the leaders of the carnival have set in their sights... 
My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided in exchange of an honest review**

When I first opened this book and started reading it, I was immediately hooked. Everything that makes a good book great was there. Mystery, action, a fast pace and a hot hero. 

This book is about Beth, a dhampyre, half human-half vampire, who is for the first time moving out of the protective shadow of her parents to live on her own. Sage Springs seems like the perfect place to her, it's small and quiet and what's the worst that could happen to a college student there? But when she arrives, Beth immediately notices that something is going on in this  little town, and that it might not be as quiet and safe as she thought. 

I loved this book when I read the first chapters. I was devouring it and couldn't put it down. The mystery was great, it kept me on my toes and made me guess, only to turn around and throw something I hadn't seen coming, at me. This book is short, and the pace was very fast. There was a lot of stuff happening in these 200 something pages, and while in the beginning it was great and I loved it, when I hit around 50% mark, it was becoming clear to me that too much was happening and very little was explained. 

The first thing that got to me was Beth's relationship with Riley. I loved the guy, which is to be expected since he was a jerk and an alpha male and I can't help but fall for guys like him in books, but while all of that was great and resulted in some steamy and hot encounters, I didn't feel his relationship with Beth. It didn't feel real enough for me. Like I mentioned before, this book is short and fast paced, and for them to fall in love soon after we hit the 50% mark felt forced and unreal and too cheesy. 

There were other important things that should've been developed more too. Take the witches and vampires and dhampyres for example. I would've loved some background information on all of them, how they came to be, what they do, their communities, or anything about them at all. Instead, we're expected to know all there is to know about these races. 

Nonetheless, this book was an easy and fast read that I have to say is one I enjoyed. While it's not one that I loved and will re-read one day, it still is one book that I had fun reading. 
Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know this book! I really liked your review Aseel ! I think I will check the Kindle version on Amazon in order to buy it! xxx

    ReplyDelete