Friday, August 7, 2015

ARC Review: Voodoo Moon by June Stevens

Title: Voodoo Moon
Author: June Stevens
Series: Paranorm World #1
Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Publication:  February 10th 2015 by Crimson Tree Publishing 

Summary (Goodreads):
A sinister magic is sweeping across Nash City…

To Fiona Moon, it’s just another day at work. And some days, well, they’re a helluva lot worse than others. As a member of the elite Black Blade Guard, Fiona is tasked with hunting down the most-dangerous Paranorm criminals. To find out who is kidnapping mages and sucking the life energy from their bodies, she has to work with the one man that embodies everything she despises.

Master Necromancer Ian Barroes, a rich professor of Necromantic Studies, wants only one thing in this world… Fiona.

They each hold secrets that could destroy them, but could also be the key to destroying the evil Voodoo priest, Bokor. They must learn to trust each other and track down Bokor before more innocent lives are lost. When Fiona becomes a target of the evil madman, she is lured into his trap. Now, she and Ian have to fight for survival… and their very souls. 
My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided in exchange of an honest review**

When I first saw this book, I was very excited for it. The blurb sounded great, and it's been a while since I read a paranormal book, so when I saw this book, I was immediately interested. There were so many things I expected from this book, and so many things that disappointed me.

This book is set 200 years in the future where the world has undergone a Cataclysm that destroyed almost everything we know and have today. When the world needed them post, all paranormal species made themselves known to help save the world, and thus, two hundred years later, everything is worked on magic instead of technology. Fiona, our MC, is a Blade, someone who fights the evil and the bad, and when a new threat makes itself at home in the streets of Nash City, she needs help from the one person she hates most, Master Necromancer Ian.

The world build is one of the few, if not the only thing, I liked about this book. The author has clearly thought of everything and left anything for chance, everything was very developed. I liked how Voodoo Moon took dystopia and gave it a paranormal twist. That is something new and that I haven't seen before. What I didn't like was how it was delivered. Since this book takes place in a whole new world where everything is new, there had to be lots of explanations and descriptions, I get that, but in this book, introducing the world took so much place that I always forgot what was happening. It took over the plot and distracted from it instead of adding to it and most of the time, I felt like I was reading a history book with just dry facts. It was so boring, and I had a very hard time finishing this book. The writing was awkward and dry and the conversations between characters were flat.

Fiona didn't help matters either. I wanted to strangle that woman most of the time. I like a confident heroine as much as the next person, in fact, I think we need more of them, but she was just arrogant and judgmental and couldn't make up her mind about Ian because of her misplaced hatred for his kind. I didn't understand his fascination with her in all honesty. There was no connection between them and no attraction and their relationship just felt flat and forced. I couldn't connect with either of them.

The world build may have been great, but everything else wasn't, and even original building is not worth suffering through the rest.
Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment