Monday, July 27, 2015

ARC Review: Wicked Fall by Sawyer Bennett

Title: Wicked Fall
Author: Sawyer Bennett
Series: The Wicked Horse #1
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: July 28th 2015 by Big Dog Books
Summary (Goodreads):
Never in your wildest dreams could you begin to imagine all the filthy and depraved things that go on inside The Wicked Horse. Step inside and Woolf Jennings will make every one of your dirty fantasies come true.

He’s covered in a facade of deception. An enticing blend of multi-millionaire and hot-as-hell Wyoming rancher, those that think they know Woolf Jennings admire his abilities to preside as CEO of his family’s cattle and oil empire. But only a privileged few truly understand what fuels the glitter of depravity in those gorgeous blue eyes. Only a few know he’s opened up a sinfully erotic and private sex club named The Wicked Horse right at the base of the beautiful Teton Mountain range.

Sweet Callie Hayes has returned home to Wyoming and is looking forward to starting her life over again. After a night of impetuosity, she’s managed to put herself right in Woolf’s line of sight… the man who she foolishly offered up her virginity to years ago and was flatly turned down. 

Now Woolf is seeing that Callie is all grown up and has a kinky side to her that leaves him as confused as it does turned on. Worse yet, both Callie’s dirty desires and sweet heart are getting under his skin, and making Woolf question everything he’s ever believed about himself.
My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided by publisher in exchange of an honest review**

I have really mixed feelings about this book. Words like filthy and depraved jumped at me when I read the blurb for Wicked Fall, and when I went into it, I expected it to be one of those dirty reads that would make me blush or gasp in shock. It did not.

Woolf isn't happy with being a CEO of his family's cattle and oil company, it isn't his passion. What he likes most is the secret sex club he opened with his best friends, where pretty much everything is allowed. When Callie, a girl he turned down eleven years ago comes back to town, he wants her, but she is sweet and innocent and he's far from it.

I'm one of those people who get turned on by monogamy, and I don't usually like books with threesomes, but when I saw this book, I thought, this sounds like a really hot book and I've yet to read a book by Sawyer Bennett, even though I have almost all of her books on my TBR-list. I thought, I'd give both threesomes and the author a chance with this book. Wicked Fall didn't turn out to be what I expected it to be.

We saw very little of what goes on in the sex club and what Woolf and his best friends, Bridger do, and the depravity and dirty things they were into. There was only one scene that breached on being dirty and filthy, but it was so brief that it just hit my I-don't-like-polygamy button instead of doing the opposite. There was a lot of telling when it came to the whole dirty sex club and Woolf and Bridgers sex adventure instead of showing. Callie came into the picture from the start and as soon as Woolf saw her again, he didn't crave his secret life as much as he did and he only wanted to be with her. Callie used to be shy and nice and would never dare step foot into a sex club, but she's tired of being boring and wants to try out new things and be a new Callie. When she discovers Woolf's secret club, she wants in, but Woolf is hesitant and thinks it would be too much for her. He gave me whiplashes with his change in personality. One second he wanted Callie and a life outside of the club. A few seconds later, he wanted the club and was sure he couldn't live a vanilla life. I would've liked him so much more if he picked a side and stuck with it. Instead, I felt like Bridger was making all the decisions for him and that he couldn't decide on anything without his best friends opinion.

I liked Callie more than him. She knew she wanted Woolf, had since she was a teenager, and when she discovers his club, she's intrigued because it just so happens she wants a change from her boring life. She went for what she wanted and had the courage to try out new things, things that would have made her cover her eyes and ears a few months ago.

While I wasn't a huge fan of Woolf, I liked his relationship with Callie. Because Woolf and Callie's brother were best friends, they grew up together and knew pretty much everything about the other. They were comfortable together and had so much sexual tension and attraction from years apart to make up for. Most of the sex in Wicked Fall was vanilla, but I can't say that it wasn't hot or steamy. Sawyer Bennett's writing is captivating and it's what kept me glued to the screen of my iPad until I finished this book in one sitting.

Wicked Fall may not have been what I expected it to be, but it was still a book I enjoyed. The writing is amazing and the attractions between the MCs is hot. Will I read another book by this author? Definitely. Will I continue reading this series? Maybe. The epilogue from the next book in The Wicked Horse series was hot and promising and I might give it another try.

Ranting:

No comments:

Post a Comment