Friday, June 26, 2015

ARC Review: Taming the Beast by Lucy King

Title: Taming the Beast
Author: Lucy King
Series: The Fairy Tales of New York #3
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: June 26th 2015 by Tule Publishing

Summary (Goodreads):
Once upon a time, Mercedes ‘Mercy’ Hernandez had the most enormous crush on her best friend’s older brother, Seb Madison. Now, though, she can’t stand the beast. Forget that he’s as spine-tinglingly gorgeous as ever. He’s a lousy brother and a manipulative bastard, not that she ever thinks about that disastrous one night stand they once had…

Still riddled with guilt over the death of his parents, billionaire loner Seb Madison has spent so long emotionally shut off that when beautiful, fiery Mercy bursts into his life again, he doesn’t know what’s hit him. All he knows is that she confuses him and he doesn’t like it.

Yet their chemistry hasn’t faded and, when hostility turns to attraction, a no-strings affair seems the logical solution. Mercy’s taking a much needed break from her family’s Argentinian vineyard to study for an MBA and Seb doesn’t do relationships. Neither have either the time or inclination for anything other than weekends-only red-hot sex. Or do they…?
My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided by publisher in exchange of an honest review**

This was such a great read. I'm not huge on retellings, I've read a few and I often make it a point to avoid them but when I saw the cover for this one and read the blurb, I was very much intrigued and wanted to see how this book would turn out.

Taming the beast is different from the usual Beauty and the Beast retellings. I liked the fact that Seb didn't kidnap Mercy and that she had a crush on him when she was in high school. In fact, they slept together five years ago, and now when they meet again, their attraction is just as strong, if not more, so they decide a no-strings attached relationship is a good idea, but it's not enough and soon, they both find themselves falling deeper and deeper for each other.

This book is steamy. I started it kind of late at night and it kept me up until I read the last page. I was drawn into Mercy and Seb's world and the chemistry between them kept me flipping the pages until there was nothing more to read. Mercy is strong headed and stubborn and she had no problem with telling Seb off. I really liked that about her. She was loyal to her friends and she could see deeper into Seb than he let anyone see. My heart broke for him. He was feeling so much guilt over his parents accident that he pushed away everyone, including his sister. Years later, he is lonely and the only thing in his life is work, so when Mercy barges in, he isn't prepared for how she seems to understand him without him speaking a word or the feelings she evokes in him.

While I really liked Seb and understood that he was feeling guilty for the accident that killed his parents, I disliked him for what he did for his sister and himself. He pushed everyone away until he was all alone, and he never once thought of what it did to his sister until Mercy pretty much forced him to see. His sister, Zel, too didn't think of how the accident affected her brother and that he may have pushed her away because of his guilt.

Because the book is short, there where a few things overlooked that I would have liked a closer look at. There was very little mention of Mercy's MBA and Seb's work and the ending was kind of rushed. I would have loved to know what their plan for the future was and how they would work out their separate lives to be together.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book very much. The writing was great and it flowed so smoothly that I couldn't sleep until I finished the book. It's short but it's fun and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a steamy book.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment