Saturday, June 27, 2015

ARC Review: Hex by Mackenzie McGuire

Title: Hex
Author: Mackenzie McGuire
Series: Saxton Academy #1
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance
Publication: June 20th 2015

Summary (Goodreads):
I’m Reece. A month ago I died along with my two best friends in a car crash. Obviously, my death didn't last long. Since then, I hear voices and the nightmares – don’t even get me started. I just wanted to be normal. That meant leaving my lux L.A. life for the gothic, and icy, Saxton Academy in the mountains of Vermont. Away from the tabloids, I had a plan to get my life together. But that just isn't possible. Thanks to hotties Eli McKinnon and Carden McDowell I discovered my life is a lie. They want to help me reach my potential. I just want to be a regular girl. But darkness is coming, and if I want to stay alive, I may not have a choice.
My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided in exchange of an honest review**

It's been a while since I read a YA book, especially a paranormal one. When I started Hex, I knew it was supposed to be a lighter kind of YA, unlike the dark ones that have been dominating the industry right now, and it made me really curious to see how it was going to play out.

Hex is about Reece, a girl who following the death of her two best friends in a freak accident descends into depression and starts experiencing weird things. When she is sent to a luxurious academy in Vermont, she doesn't expect to find answers to all her questions or to discover that she is a witch, but things aren't that easy and someone is after her. If she wants to stay alive, she'll have to accept herself and what she is.

I liked this book. True to what I expected it to be, it was light and fun to read. I don't know about everyone else, but I for one did get tired of pretty much all the YA books being about the end of the world, total devastation or something along these lines and I liked the fact that Hex was different. I had no problem getting into it and the world build while easy to understand was still good and enjoyable, even though I felt like this book only touched the surface of witches and that there was more to be explained and explored. I would have liked to learn more about witchcraft. 

Reece is confused and lost when she arrives at Saxton academy, thinking of herself as crazy because of the things that happened to her and that no one could explain, but when she meets Carden and Eli, she starts to feel a strong connection to them and a sense of belonging. I liked all three of them. Reece was witty and had a sense of humor that made me smile. I could understand why she was comprehensive about being a witch when she waned to skip the crazy and just be normal after what she went through after the accident. Eli and Carden were so easy to love and swoon over, but for those wondering this is not a love-triangle, which I was very grateful for. I don't like love triangles and even though I swooned over Carden, there was no doubt that I liked Eli more. He was arrogant in the beginning and we all know how much I love jerks, but he really cared about Reece and was ready to do anything for her. The connection between them was another thing I felt wan't explained and while I liked them together, I still thought that their relationship developed and they fell for each other too fast. 

All in all, this book was an easy and fun read. It's for anyone looking for a break from the usual and wants a quick read that is enjoyable. 

Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I love paranormal, so this sounds good for me, especially for when I need a quick and light read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete