Monday, June 22, 2015

ARC Review: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Title: The DUFF Movie Tie-In
Author: Kody Keplinger
Series: The DUFF #1
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: February 25th 2015 by Hachette Children's Books

Summary (Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper may not be the prettiest girl in her high school, but she has a loyal group of friends, biting wit, and a spot-on BS detector. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of a man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush, who calls Bianca the Duff - the designated ugly fat friend - of her crew.

But things aren't so great at home and Bianca, desperate for a distraction, ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a secret enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly wrong. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

With a wry and tell-it-like-it-is voice, New York Times Bestselling novel The DUFF is a witty and poignant story of a teenager struggling with the rules of high school attraction, along with the breaking down of her relationships with family and friends. It is a novel about what it means to be sexy, in a world where we feel we have to be perfect!

My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided by publisher in exchange of an honest review**

I've always seen The DUFF around and people seemed to love it, but I never wanted to read it until I saw the trailer for the movie. It seemed like something fun and so when I saw it on Netgalley, I was fast to request it. 

The DUFF follows Bianca, a senior in high-school who never cared about her looks or parties like everybody else. All she wanted was to finish high-school and then go to college, until Wesley, the jerk she hated and the guy who sleeps with anything that moves calls her the DUFF of her group, the Designated, Ugly, Fat Friend. Those, the sparks of hate between the two fly and yet soon, they find themselves in bed together and discovering more about each and seeing beyond their stereotypes. 

I liked this book. It's a very fun and funny read that I had no problem getting into at all. Bianca is snarky and witty, which are characteristics that I love in MCs, and she had me laughing a lot of the times. But even though I enjoyed her snark, there were times when it become too much and made me hate her. She was very judgmental for someone who got really angry and upset over being called a DUFF. She was very quick to abandon her friends and cut them off for very stupid reasons, and lying to them about being with Wesley when she was calling him judgmental. I hate double standards and Bianca showed a lot of it in this book. Wesley, who appeared to be the immature MC in the beginning, turned out to be really deep and more than anyone ever thought him to be. I really liked him, more than I liked Bianca, and I giggled over everything he said and did. He was funny and honest and even though he tended to blurt out things that may be hurtful, I still liked him a lot. 

I enjoyed the pace of the book and how it took its characters to new places and I liked seeing how they developed and become more than what they started out to be. While this book was fun and light, it also deals with the painful years of high-school and how everyone is not always what they appear to be and that looks is not everything. I liked Bianca more when she realized just how much of a jerk she was and that she was judging everyone else like she accused other people of doing.

After reading the book, I wanted to watch the movie, and even though it was the movie trailer that originally made me read the book, i found myself disappointed in movie. There were a lot of stuff that I loved from the book that weren't in the movie, especially Bianca and Wesley's enemies-with-benefits relationship. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed the movie, but not as much as I liked the book. 

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light and fun read that is easy to get into and enjoy, and that everyone can relate to. 


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment