Sunday, April 5, 2015

ARC Review: Stone Faced Angel by Marie McKean

Title: Stone Faced Angel
Author: Marie McKean
Series: Stone Angels #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Publication: February 1st 2015

Summary (Goodreads):
There are some things I know for sure:

1. I died . . . a long time ago
2. Even in death I was always aware of him.
3. Love has a way of making even angels choose to leave their heaven above.



My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided in exchange of an honest review**

You know those people that are so picky with what they eat and what they like and how the salt has to be just right and you can't have food not crispy enough? I'm one of those, only instead of food, I'm picky with my readings. I have pet peeves, things that ruin a book for me completely and I always find something that puts me off. Sometimes they are big, other times they're not. This time, it was big. I hate cheesy relationships. Love at first sight? Nope, so not for me.

Stone Faced Angel is about Maura, a girl who wakes up in cemetery with barely any clothes on and no recollection of how she got there or of her life before. She doesn't remember anything but her name. An older women driving by takes her in and cares for her, and when Maura meets Brandon, the grandson, she falls for him.

I had so many problems with this book, and I barely found the will to finish it. My first problem with it was Branson and Maura. They are one of those annoying couples that you just want to strangle or tell them to get real because nobody falls in love that fast and nobody is that sweet. I don't find relationships like that interesting in books. I mean if they already fell in love from the first chapter, what is left for the other many chapters coming? I got bored pretty fast, especially since nothing happened. All the characters continued to be sweet and nice and not interesting and the only ones not nice were Brandon's parents and they were over the top in their evilness. I don't want to spoil things, but what they did was such an overreaction that it gave me pause.

My other big problem was the fact that nothing happened. This book is not a short one, and very little action took place. It was more contemporary than fantasy, dealing with high school parties and popular friends than anything else. When I went into this book I was expecting Angels and maybe demons and heaven and hell, but I didn't get that. I honestly wouldn't have minded the book focusing more on the contemporary if the characters weren't so nice and everyone was having fun with no interruptions or evil high school cheerleaders. I had no connection to any of the characters, main or secondary and I felt the chemistry between Maura and Brandon was forced and lacked depth. When Maura found out more about her past and her life before she was in the cemetery, her reaction was not real or how I would imagine anyone would feel if they found out what she did. Instead of going into shock and freaking out, she seemed to forget about the whole thing and went out to breakfast with Brandon without a concern. It drove me crazy. Add the fact that we knew nothing about Angels or how they came to be or who could become an angel and why or anything about the statue in the cemetery and you'll know just how much will power it took to finish this book.

The only reason Stone Faced Angel is getting two stars instead of one is because of the ending. I hadn't seen it coming and it shocked me, which doesn't happen often and I especially wasn’t expecting it with this book considering I wasn't such a huge fan of it from the beginning and it nothin for me. It honestly had potential. The idea was intriguing and if done right would have been so much better and I may have liked it a whole lot more, but as it it I don't think I'll be reading the next book in this series.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment