Monday, February 2, 2015

ARC Review: Nearly Broken by Devon Ashley


Title: Nearly Broken
Author: Devon Ashley
Series: Nearly #1
Genres: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: June 4th 2013

Summary (Goodreads):
We’d both gone missing at one point, but Claire had one thing I didn’t. Someone to notice. So why was I the one still here and she the one still gone? 

Nineteen year old Megan Smith has spent the past year working in a small town diner in the middle of nowhere. Life is quiet, simple, safe. Then comes the news that her look-a-like has gone missing.

Claire.

Still damaged both physically and mentally, Megan's not looking to be noticed. Wherever she goes from here, it's a road she needs to take alone. But when Nickolas Ellis takes the job as the new nightshift cook, it scares her how easily her defenses crumble down, down, down for him. But there are secrets she can't bear to share with just anyone, unspeakable acts that continue to haunt, and when the similarities of Claire’s abduction couples with the fear of an unwanted visitor in town, the urge to run before it all happens again intensifies, threatening the only happiness Megan's ever found.

New Adult Romantic Suspense / Dark Realistic Fiction
Recommended for 17+ for mature and disturbing situations, language and sexual content. 



My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided in exchange of an honest review**

I'm a fast reader. It usually takes me a few hours to finish a book, but with Nearly Broken it took me closer to weeks to finish it. It contained a lot of the things that I don't like in books. The only reason this books didn't get one star is because I liked the writing and the idea was intriguing and new, not what we usually get in books about kidnappings.

Nearly Broken is about Megan, a girl who's been on the run from the people who abused her and is now hiding in a small town, keeping her head down and her eyes open, ready to run at moments notice. She keeps people at an arms length, but then Nick starts working at the diner she works at and she can't help but be drawn to him and soon, she finds herself opening up to him, but she's not the only one with a secret.

The first problem I had with this book was my connection, or lack off, with the main characters. I didn't hate Megan, but I didn't like her either. She lacked character and felt very two-dimensional for me. Then there was Nick, whom I liked better than Megan but that doesn't say much considering I felt nothing for the female MC. While I may have tolerated them separately, I hated them together, which brings us to the second thing I didn't like about this book. They were so sappy and cheesy together and I hate that kind of relationship in books. It just bores me to death when two characters are snuggling and cuddling and saying I love you and can't stop touching or looking at each other and generally being too clingy. It just didn't fit in with the fact that Megan had been abused and raped. I would think that a girl who'd been through all that wouldn't be such a touchy person with a guy, especially since they'd been touchy-feely before we even hit the 30% mark. Things moved very fast in the first half of the book, both regarding Megan and Nicks relationship and their secrets. Around 40% into the book, everything was revealed. Megan's past, her kidnapping, what she went through, how she got away and Nick and the role he played in it all. That left very little to happen in the remaining of 60% of Nearly Broken. I had such a hard time finding the will to continue reading and finish the book. I was close to just giving up and DNFing the book a few times, but I wanted to see if anything at all would happen at the end and if things would get exciting.

As I said before, I liked the idea of the book, but I didn't like how it was done. Considering the matters Nearly Broken dealt with, I felt like the writing was too light, not angsty enough to hook me in, but interesting enough that I wanted to see if things would take a better turn.

75% into the book, something happened. The last chapters of the book are my favorite thing in the whole book when an evil and bad character was introduced. He was twisted and did some very disturbing things and was a jerk in general and he was also my favorite character. I would love to see more of him in the next book, and I have a feeling he will behaving a bigger role in the second book than in the first and I'm very curious to see what happens next with him.

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment