Saturday, November 15, 2014

ARC Review: Ride by J.C. Emery


Title: Ride
Author: J.C. Emery
Series: Bayonet Scars #1
Genres: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: 25th October 2013 by Left Break Press

Summary (Goodreads):
Death comes in Armani. Salvation comes in leather.

Principessa to the Mancuso crime family, Alexandra knows a thing or two about living outside the bounds of the law. Suffocated by the future her father has laid out for her, she makes a choice she can't take back, changing the entire trajectory of her life.

Thrust into the dark and dangerous world of the Forsaken Motorcycle Club for her own protection, Alex finds herself faced with the last thing she needs right now: the man of her dreams. He’s sex in leather, the devil incarnate, and one hell of a kisser. But he’s also off-limits. Ryan Stone can be her friend, but he’s forbidden to be her lover.

Third-generation Forsaken, Ryan knows nothing other than life on two wheels, and he wouldn’t have it any other way. He enjoys the many privileges that come with the patch, and the only laws he recognizes are the ones set-forth by his club. That is, until who he wants more than anything isn’t allowed on the back of his bike —or in his bed. Balancing his desire for her body, and need to keep her safe, Ryan tries to keep Alex at a distance. Finally having made a choice for herself, she’s done hearing the word “no” and will push boundaries even Ryan himself doesn’t dare cross.

Love is never more tempting than when it’s forbidden.





My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided in exchange of an honest review.**

I'm one of those people who have a hate-love relationship with forbidden love stories. Sometimes I like them, other times they bore me. When I read the blurb to this book however, I was immediately intrigued and was already in like with the forbidden love story Ride had to tell. I mean, when you put a biker and a mafia princess together, things are bound to be hot and sexy with a lot of action.

Alex is born in family where what men say goes. It's their way of life and she's raised up to be the perfect wife, knowing she will be married off to the guy her dad approves of, or rather, the highest bidder, and to keep a smile on her face and say yes. It's her life, and where her future is headed, until she unintentionally, or was it intentionally?, finds herself in mess that could result in her dead. Her only protection? A family member she never knew existed and a group of men in leather and on bikes. She never expected to like it with them, or to find someone she wants to spend the rest of her life with. But she isn't safe yet, the people she trusts are keeping secrets from her and the man she wants, Ryan, is off limits to her.

When I went into this book, I was expecting an action filled and steamy book with two headstrong characters who don't take no for an answer. I thought it would be a book If couldn't put down because I like strong characters who do things their own way. This wasn't the case for Alex and Ryan. Or the book. Things started very slowly and the time they spent on the road home was longer than the time they spent home. That resulted in moments where I was bored and my only entertainment was Ryan.

Ryan is a guy who is a jerk. A class A a-hole that gave me whiplashes. One second, he was sweet and funny, and then the next he was behaving in such a way I wanted to smash his head and scream at him. Most of the time, he behaved like he hated Alex and it made me want to hit her in return because she kept chasing after him and I have no idea why. She is this polite, nice and kind of submissive girl that cries a lot, and he is the complete opposite. He treated her so bad, and there was this one scene where I just washed my hands clean of him and her because what he did was just not something anybody should ever forgive or forget.

They got attached to each other pretty quickly. Like, from the second they met, and Alex couldn't stop thinking about Ryan. She wanted him, she couldn't live without him and she was very hung up over him. Same went for him, even though he didn't behave like it, he actually wanted her, yet when I read his POV I hated him even more. Class A a-hole thoroughly, it wasn't just pretend because he couldn't have her, oh no, it's just how he is. Whiplash, I tell you. That resulted in very little contact between them, which also resulted in very little steamy and sexual tension.

Yet I still liked this book. I loved the idea, and the secret the bikers where hiding I had no idea was coming and hit me full force. I like surprises, so that gave the book a bunch of points. It isn't every day I read a book with both the Italian mafia and an MC clash together, two totally different mind sets and worlds, which we could see reflected in the relationship between Ryan and Alex. Strangely and weirdly enough, it was Ryan's jerk factor that made me want to finish this book more than anything. I wanted to see what else he would do, if Alex was going to man up, or rather woman up, and put a stop to him walking all over her and to see if he could make up for what he did and the way he behaved throughout the whole book.

And because I'm me, and I'm weird, I actually enjoyed Ryan's character, because I'd much rather have a hero that is not a hero and that I would very much love to shoot than a love sick one in a book with lots of sappiness cheesy stuff.



Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment