Thursday, November 27, 2014

ARC Review: Owning Violet by Monica Murphy


Title: Owning Violet
Author: Monica Murphy
Series: The Fowler Sisters #1
Genres: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: December 2nd 2014 by Bantam

Summary (Goodreads):
New York Times bestselling author Monica Murphy begins a sexy new contemporary romance series—perfect for fans of Christina Lauren and Emma Chase—that introduces three sisters born to wealth, raised to succeed, ready to love, destined to make waves.

I’ve moved through life doing what’s expected of me. I’m the middle daughter, the dutiful daughter. The one who braved a vicious attack and survived. The one who devoted herself to her family’s business empire. The one who met an ambitious man and fell in love. We were going to run Fleur Cosmetics together, Zachary and I.

Until he got a promotion and left me in the dust. Maybe it’s for the best, between his disloyalty and his wandering eye. But another man was waiting for me. Wanting me. He too has an overwhelming thirst for success, just like Zachary—perhaps even more so. He’s also ruthless. And mysterious. I know nothing about Ryder McKay beyond that he makes me feel things I’ve never felt before.

One stolen moment, a kiss, a touch . . . and I’m hooked. Ryder’s like a powerful drug, and I’m an addict who doesn’t want to be cured. He tells me his intentions aren’t pure, and I believe him. For once, I don’t care. I’m willing to risk everything just to be with him. Including my heart. My soul.

My everything.



My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided by publisher in exchange of an honest review**

I've never read a book by Monica Murphy. I own several of hers, but I've never had the chance to read one of them, so when I did I was really excited because I've heard so much about her and how steamy her writing is. Reading and hearing are two different things, and no gushing ever compares to the real thing.

This book is about Violet, a girl from a famous family and who's been in the spotlight her whole life, putting a lot of pressure on her to be as perfect as everyone expects her to be and as her father wants her to be. She's been acting the part for a long time, letting people walk all over while she smiles politely, until she is suddenly woken up and thrust into the arms of Ryder, a man who sets her blood on fire and who is more than he seems.

I loved this book. I could not put it down. Owning Violet captivated me from the moment I started it until the last chapter. I couldn't stop reading and I wanted more. Violet is a girl I felt for. She's strong, but she's trying so very hard to bury her past and to be what she thinks she should be. A perfect daughter and wife, and to make the people around her happy, even if it's at her own expense. I totally loved her, and her struggles felt like my own.

And then there is Ryder, a man who has done a lot to get where he is, struggled and fought with everything he had to escape his former life, even if it's at the expense of others. He's not nice, and he knows it. For the first half of the book, I hated his guts. He's so very different from Violet, and he'd be more likely to step on her than pick her up, and I hated him for it, even knowing where he came from and what he wanted, but I really can't lie and say I didn't love him just a tiny bit, because I totally did. He's hot, he's sexy and absolutely yummy. Can't deny that fact. His alpha-male persona almost set the book on fire, it was that intense. And then came the second half of the book, and then I could feel his struggles as he fought his feelings and the things he needed to do and that teeny bit of love I had for him evolved until I was just as captivated with him as Violet was.

When I finished this book, I wanted more. I could not get enough of Violet and Ryder, or even the writing. It was so action-filled with things happening all the time, from the schemes to the drama and gossip. It was non-stop entertainment and mystery and I, very much like the characters in this book, was suspicion of pretty much everyone as they fought to get to the top, trying to figure out who was going to stab who in the back.

My only problem with this book was the ending, or rather how rushed it seemed. I didn't feel like the real problem was dealt with or taken care of. There was the whole thing with Alan that just felt unnecessary because nothing happened there and then the Pilar thing that wasn't really over. Now I understand that this series is going to follow the Fowler sisters, and that Pilar probably will make an appearance there as well, but in this book, it was pretty much over-looked in the end and made little sense.

Steamy and drama filled, Owning Violet is the perfect read for everyone who wants a hot book that will keep you on your toes and make your heart beat fast. I can't wait to read the next book in this series!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment