Monday, October 27, 2014

Book Review: Torrent by Gemma James


Title: Torrent
Author: Gemma James
Series: Condemned #1
Genre: Adult, Contemporary, Dark Romance
Publication: 22nd July 2014 by Createspace

Summary (Goodreads):
She sent an innocent man to prison. Now, eight years later, he's returning the favor... 
I’ve been obsessed with Rafe Mason since I was thirteen. The twisted part of this story is that I still want him, even now.
Now that he's holding me captive on an island.
Rafe has his reasons for doing what he's doing, and if I'm honest, I can't blame him. I’m the girl who sent him to prison for a heinous crime he didn't commit.
But now he's free and the tables have turned...now he's the one driven by obsession.
TORRENT is a new adult dark romance with disturbing themes and explicit content, including sexual scenes and violence that may offend some. Intended for mature audiences. Part one of the CONDEMNED series. This is not a stand-alone read. Approximately 43,000 words.




My Thoughts: 

There is something about dark and twisted books that draws me in. I can never pass on a good ole' gritty book, and when I read the blurb for Torrent, I was a goner. I had to read this book.

Torrent follows the life of Alex, a girl who comes from a family with a lot of money and more secrets. She's trapped in a life she doesn't want, drowning in pain and guilt and self-hate over the life she destroyed when she sent an innocent man, one who cared about her, into prison for a crime he didn't commit. Now, eight years later he's out, but he's not the same man he was before, and it's time for him to get his revenge.

I was hooked in this book from the first chapter. The amount of messed up things and darkness shown from the start had me trapped. I didn't have to wait long for the action to start, it was there as soon as I cracked this book open. My state of horrified gasping and wide eyes continued throughout the whole book. While a lot of the action and secrets where revealed early, or I thought so at least, there was always something making me stop reading and blink in surprise. To say that I couldn't stop reading would be an understatement. I was gripping my iPad and reading as fast as I can while at the same time terrified of what I might come across.

Alex and Rafe are two very messed up people. She'd been fighting monsters pretty much her whole life, but her body is always betraying her, and it's no different when Rafe kidnaps her and takes her to an isolated island. Only this time, she isn't so much against her body's reaction. She'd always wanted him, and there'd always been a connection between them, and while she's terrified of what he might do to her, she welcomes it at the same time. Rafe wants to take all of the pain and humiliation he'd felt in the past sight years out of the one person responsible for it all, but at the same time, he wants an explanation as to why Alex did what she did to him.

Told from both Alex's and Rafe's POV, Torrent makes for one emotional read. We get to experience the thoughts and feelings and the emotional turmoil both of them are going through. My heart broke for them more than once. Alex had been put through so much for so many years, and Rafe too had lost so much because of the false accusations. I loved them both, but I can't deny that in the beginning of the book I hated Rafe for the things he did and thoughts he had about Alex. He's a changed man after prison, and yeah he got punished for things he didn't do, but it in no way gave him the right to kidnap and do the things he did to Alex. That is just wrong, but I could not for the life of me stop reading or hate Rafe for the remaining of the book, because even though I don't agree with what he did, I understand his pain and the things he went through.This book is not one with rainbows and sunshine and flying unicorns. It's emotional, it's gritty and as dark and twisted as a book can get. Things are so messed up and there really is no right or wrong, you just have to go with the flow and hope things don't take a turn for the worse, and with the way this book needed? Things are so very bad. The wait for the next book is hard, and I'm itching and dying to read the rest even though I'm scared out of my mind thinking of what could happen in the next book.


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment