Saturday, October 11, 2014

Book Review: Pieces of Autumn by Mara Black


Title: Pieces of Autumn
Author: Mara Black
Series: Pieces of Autumn #1
Genre: NA, Romance, Dystopia
Publication: Indie, July 31st 2014

Summary (Goodreads):
PIECES OF AUTUMN is a work of dark romance, intended for adult readers who will not be offended by themes of kidnapping, human trafficking, and violence.

I wish I could tell you that I was stolen.

Kidnapped off the street in some third-world country, sold against my will, while a desperate family back home waited and prayed and talked about me on the news.

I wish I could tell you that, because then you might understand.

What really happened? I walked to my fate with my eyes wide open. But before you say I deserved whatever happened to me, you should know. I was desperate. I was alone. I was afraid for my life. You would have done the same thing.

I thought things couldn’t possibly get any worse.

But then, I woke up in darkness, unable to move. There was only one thing I was sure of: I wasn’t alone anymore.

And then I heard HIS voice...


My Thoughts:

I love dark romance books. I just absolutely adore them. The darker, and the more twisted they are, the more I love them. Seriously, they are my favorite books and genre, so when fellow dark romance lovers introduced me to this book, I immediately one-clicked it. I mean, the cover looks scary, the blurb sounded dark and to top it off, the main character walked into this dark life willingly. I've read a lot of books in this genre, yet in none of them had the MC willingly ventured into captivity. I was more than curious to read this book, and as soon as I had the chance, I started reading it.

This book takes place in the future, where the economy has collapsed and the world is falling to pieces. Everything we know today, everything we use and eat is no longer available and is considered luxuries even the rich can't get their hands on. In this world, Autumn, living on the streets while on the run for a very long time sings her life away to an organization called Stoker that promises young girls a life of luxury and comfort with rich men who would take care of them. But Stoker is far from what the world thinks of them, and soon, Autumn finds herself as a birthday present to Tate, The Viper, a man so dangerous even the biggest organization in the world wants to be on good terms with.
From the very first page and I was confused. While reading the blurb I saw no mention of economic collapse or the book taking place a few years in the future, which honestly would have been no problem for me. It would've probably made me want to read this book even more, but I ended up being just confused. I had no idea what was going on, I didn't understand that the world had, in fact, pretty much gone under and that everything had been destroyed. I was just confused and I didn't understand the world build until much later in the book and even then, my understanding was very little. I finished the book with as much knowledge about the world it was built in as I started it.

The first few chapters were the hardest to go through. I didn't understand why Autumn was selling herself to Stoker, I didn't understand whether she knew they were bad and lying or not because there was hinting at them maybe being not all they pretended to be and yet she was willingly going to them to sign herself up. I mean, yeah later on I kind of did get why she would do that, but the start of the book was just a big jumble, a blur that I just wanted to hurry through so I could come to the explaining part or to the action so I could understand anything.

And then we're introduced to Tate, and the second dose of confusion came, this time followed by frustration. I did not get Tate and Autumn relationship or feelings at all. In fact, the more I read, the more questions I had and the more I wanted to tear at my own hair. But I wasn't the only one confused. Tate and Autumn were more confused than me. One second Tate was this bad person, The Viper, and who thrived on pain and wanted to hurt Autumn and the next he was bandaging her and babying her. I mean yeah, I get that he didn't want to be The Viper and that the whole reason he pretty much isolated himself was so not to hurt anyone, but he seemed pretty nice to me and in control of 'Viper'. And then there is Autumn. Even though she had not been forced to give herself to Stoker, and that she was running away from a bigger danger,  she felt like she had the ground to be picky and to try and run away from both Stoker and Tate when she had gone to them for protection in the first place, knowing, or maybe suspecting that they were not what they said they were. The part that really got to me though, was that she tried to run away because Tate was nice to her. Yep, you heard right. She nearly got herself killed because she didn't want nice Tate when just a few chapters earlier she was complaining about The Viper.

Confusing, right? Can you wrap your head around that? Because I'm getting even more confused writing this review and trying to sort through what I had read, but let's move on to the part where the problem gets solved and Tate and Autumn pretty much save the world and destroy Stoker, because yes, the two of them along with a small organization take down the biggest one and the one controlling the whole world in, what, two chapters? And a dinner. Really. That was another factor that had my jaw hanging in shock. And confusion.

All in all, the world that comes to mind whenever I think of Pieces of Autumn is confused. There are a lot of things in this book that are never explained, from actions and appearances of characters that just don't make sense and only mange to get to me to wonder how and why they happened, to the whole building of the world and how it came to be. While I found the world really interesting, that is the only reason this book is not getting one star, it was still not explained or explored as I would have liked. It would at least have been better if how, why, who and when the world came to be as it was were explained.

I think the author had a really good idea but that she did not know what to do with it.


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment