Thursday, August 28, 2014

Book Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover


Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: August 5th 2014, by Atria Books

Summary (Goodreads): 

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.Never ask about the past.Don’t expect a future.
They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.Promises get broken.Rules get shattered.Love gets ugly.




My Thoughts:

I've read a lot of Colleen Hoover books, if not all of them and what I've come to associate with them is crying, heartbreak and some of the awesomest book boyfriends out there. Ugly Love was no exception.

This book is about Tate Collins, a girl studying to become a nurse, who upon moving in to live with her brother, meets pilot Miles Archer, a guy as closed to the world as he is hot and a guy who is just as attracted to her as she is to him. So they make an arrangement which includes everything physical and nothing emotional. These are Miles rules and Tate accepts, only to regret them later when she falls for him.

In Ugly Love, the past and present where woven together. The past told from Miles POV and the present from Tate's. I didn't get that at the begging, and I was pretty confused by it. I didn't think it was needed to put Miles past in the book, until I came to about half of the book and I found why his past was told. After that, I pretty much wanted to cover my eyes and pray that what I thought would happen, wouldn't happen.

Miles is another CoHo guy I had mixed feeling for when I started Ugly Love. I was so frustrated with him a lot of the time. One moment he was this sweet guy who did things that just made me go 'aww, can I have him?' and he cared about Tate which was obvious from pretty much the first three chapters, and then he'd turn into such a jerk I wanted to throw something at his head. He'd get upset if Tate showed she cared about him for a second or if she as said 'I missed you' when he was away. And I wanted to throttle Tate for letting him do that to her and going back to him when she was so hurt by his actions. But at the same time, I couldn't fault her, not when I could see what she liked so much about Miles. It was pretty clear that he'd gone through something huge and that's why he was the way he was.

Even though I was frustrated with both characters, I couldn't help but get sucked into their story from the first page. I think we've already established that Colleen Hoovers writing style is pure genius. I don't know how she does it, but she writes in a way that just flows, is so simple yet so not simple at the same time. It's beautiful and heartfelt and gives me all the feels. I could read anything she writes anytime and any place, and while Ugly Love had everything a CoHo book does, which is tears, laughter and swoony moments, this book had something I haven't read in her other books, which is sex. It was hot yet so sweet at the same time that I felt like I was going to bust from all the emotions. I loved the chemistry between Miles and Tate and that is one of the things that made me understand why Tate kept going back to him, and when his past was finally told, I cried so hard. Like ugly crying where I couldn't read a word because my eyes were blurry with tears and I couldn't take a breath. I'm not exaggerating. I do cry easily, but I've never cried this hard in my life, but it made me understand why Miles was the way he was as he struggled with leaving the past behind and starting to live again.

Ugly Love is a tale about moving on, about not letting the past define us and the healing power of love. It's one of my top reads this year and definitely a favorite.


Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment