Thursday, July 31, 2014

ARC Review: Epiphany by Christina Jean Michaels


Title: Epiphany
Series: Legacy of Payne #1
Author: Christina Jean Michaels
Genre: NA, Romance, Paranormal
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: July 17th, 2013



Summary (Goodreads):

“I had my first psychic dream when I was nine. Psychic implied power, and powerful wasn’t a word I’d use to describe myself. I couldn’t foretell the future or conjure visions at will, but I couldn’t think of a more fitting word to describe what I sometimes saw in my dreams.”

 

For 23-year-old Mackenzie Hill, tossing her life down the garbage disposal is easy after a painful incident shatters her life. Her heart is bleeding, and moving to Watcher’s Point is a chance to start anew, only she isn’t prepared for the guy who walks out of her dreams and into the flesh. Literally . . . because she’s been dreaming about this sexy stranger for years.

 

Mackenzie is even less prepared to face the dark nature of her dreams. They’ve turned disturbingly gruesome, full of blood and murder, and when they begin to coincide with the media’s headlines, she and Aidan realize her visions might be the key to stopping a madman from killing again.

 

Only Aidan has painful secrets of his own, and perhaps the biggest danger of all is falling for him.

 

Approximately 87,000 words. Epiphany is a new adult, romantic suspense novel with light paranormal undertones. ***Mature content warning for sexy adult situations, language, and disturbing subject matter.***



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20802392-epiphany

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/epiphany-christina-jean-michaels/1116093314?ean=9781484967881http://www.amazon.com/Epiphany-Legacy-Payne-Book-1-ebook/dp/B00E0LUEKQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406812223&sr=8-3&keywords=Epiphany


My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided by author in exchange of an honest review.**

I've had this book for a while now, and before that it was one of the books I was most excited to read. The synopsis sounded dark and mysterious and I was very intrigued and couldn't wait to dive into it.

Epiphany follows twenty-three year old Mackenzie who's moved to a new town to escape a tragedy in her past. Plagued by dreams of murder and blood, she doesn't expect the man she'd fallen in love with through her dreams to walk into her life. But he's hiding secrets, and with their relationship growing so is the danger and the realization that Mackenzie's dreams are very real, and that they might just be the target of the murderer.

I enjoyed this book. It was mysterious with secrets not revealed in the beginning of the book like in many other books. I liked having to think about everything and trying to work out who the killer was and what happened in Mackenzie's past before she escaped to Watcher's Point. It kept me on my toes with the suspense and it was what kept me reading even when there were times when I didn't want to.

I had a problem with how fast Aiden and Mackenzie's relationship progressed. I absolutely hate insta-love, and while what was between Aiden and Mackenzie wasn't really insta-love, it was close enough for it to annoy me. Aiden had his own baggage, and he'd barely survived his tragedy and is now hell bent on revenge and yet right about in the middle of the book his purpose is more about protecting Mackenzie than getting revenge. I have nothing against the hero wanting to protect the heroine, in fact, I just love protective males, but not when it happens very fast and just doesn't feel real or fit in with everything going in, which is what happened in Epiphany. Aiden had just recently gone through something horrible and it didn't make any sense that in just that short of time he'd be so over it. That made me roll my eyes a lot while reading the book, because it felt very cheesy, and I don't like cheesy.

My problem with Mackenzie was how she handled things. She cried a lot and there was a moment in the end where her secrecy was very uncalled for and just made want to strangle her. Even though I kind of understood why she didn't want to face Aiden after the big twist that happened near the end, and believe me it was one helluva of a twist, I felt like it would have cleared things a lot sooner.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It was well-written and the mystery and suspense will keep you at the edge of your seat reading as fast as you can to figure out what happened in the past, who the killer is and then the big OMG-moment will make you gasp and pray it wasn't true.


Rating:
 




No comments:

Post a Comment