Friday, July 25, 2014

ARC Review: Elite by Rachel Van Dyken


Title: Elite
Series: Eagle Elite #1
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
Genre: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Forever Imprint Books
Publication Date: April 14th, 2013


Summary (Goodreads):
When I won the annual Eagle Elite College Scholarship lottery, I was thrilled. After all, my grandma had just died and I wanted to take care of my aging grandpa -- he couldn't be a farmer in Wyoming forever. And graduating from Eagle Elite meant opportunity.
But I wasn't counting on meeting Nixon.
Nor was I counting on the rules of the Elect.
1. Do not touch The Elect.2. Do not look at The Elect.3. Do not speak to The Elect.
And worst of all? Don't discover the secret they hide, because in the end, you may just realize... it's about you.
*This is a New Adult Book, blood, violence, cursing, sexual references, and drug use. Not recommended for those under 17.*



My Thoughts:

**An eARC was provided by publisher in exchange of an honest review.**

I've had this book for a while now, but I just now got around to reading it. The blurb is so mysterious and it made want to read this book all the more, so when I got the chance at reading again, it was one of my first choices.

This book is about Trace, an innocent girl who won a scholarship to an elite college but discovers that she is not welcome there on her first day. Nixon and his hot, rude and obnoxious friends make her life a living hell from the moment she sets foot on campus, but Trace is stubborn and won't let them walk all over her. The only person who seems to tolerate her is Nixon's twin sister, Monroe, who quickly takes her under wings and as Trace struggles to survive her new life, she discovers there's more to Nixon and his friends than she ever thought and that she might just be the center of all the secrets they're trying to hide.

When I started this book I had no idea what I was going to find, or what it really is about considering how vague the synopsis is. Really though, I loved how the blurb didn't just spoil the book like some books do and it just made me want to read as fast as possible to understand what was really going on. Dyken's writing made it very easy to keep reading. It was smooth, flowed perfectly and was filled with humor. I couldn't stop reading it.

Trace is one of those characters that one second you want to smack and the then you want to hug. Sometimes she was weak and cowered from Nixon and his gang of friends and it made me just want to shout at her to stand up to them, and there where others where she'd stand tall and don't take any crap from them. She felt real, a character I could relate to, because we all have our weak and strong moments and it made me love her.

Nixon however, I just wanted to smack most of the time. He was mean, rude and I couldn't help but hate him in the beginning. But I have a soft spot for assholes and badboys and he's both, so I couldn't help but love him too. During the second half of the book, he redeemed himself though, and then who he really is was revealed and BAM, the action starts. We are introduced to what really is going on in the school, who the leaders are and the true danger lurking under the facade of a prestige school.

I couldn't tear myself away from this book, and I can't wait to start the other books in this series. I really want to know what is going to happen, and where these characters I've come to love are heading. Though I'm dreading the outcome of the love-triangle, because there is one and it's what affected my rating of this book. The love-triangle was so sudden and popped up near the end of the book and I was just sitting there gaping because I was not expecting it and because I really hate love-triangles.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book very much and I want more of it. Dyken has a great writing style that is very gripping and makes it hard to stop reading.

Rating:







No comments:

Post a Comment